Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Calculation Manager Rules Runtime Tuning

We have had a case in 11.1.2.3 Calculation Manager where I have been trying to run the business rule, running them at the Total level in the 11.1.2.3 and I had to kill the calc ran after it ran for 5 hours.

In the process of debugging,I tried at a lower level to see if at least I can get it to complete. I did test the calc at a single intersection and it ran fine in seconds but that really wasn't much good to us
as our users all enter multiple intersections through their ad hoc forms and then need to calc at an aggregate level.

While starting to dig the rootcause , I thought it might be a good idea to share what was done to tune this rule. I started with the Cube cache settings.I have shown the values above.This needs to be followed with a Essbase restart.
Also for the application, I added these two properties . In order to do this, I logged into the planning application, Administration->Application->Properties. There, I added two properties called HBR_MAX_WAIT_FOR_RULE and HBR_MONITOR_DELAY and set them to 480000 which is 8 minutes.

Post this, I carried out a complete system restart and then ran the rule. Now what took a long time was completed in 5 minutes which is a big win. 

1 comment: